The Global Health and Nutrition Technical Advisor is a technical function which will provide leadership and technical support to all ForAfrika Country Offices’ Health and Nutrition Managers in achieving the sector’s program results according to the organization’s Theory of Change, Programming Framework and as aligned to the global health and nutrition standards; National Health and Nutrition Strategies/goals and in line with the corresponding health and nutrition strategic program objectives and desired outcomes and impact.
Purpose of this position
The mainstay of this position is to ensure that the organization’s Health and Nutrition Program meets global health and nutrition standards; achieves the envisaged results at each country of operation level. The Technical Advisor will provide oversight, technical guidance and support to the field health and nutrition program teams in effective design and implementation of ForAfrika’s Health and Nutrition Sector Overall Strategy to ensure the organization achieves its Health and Nutrition Programs results.
Leadership and management of health and nutrition sector programs,
- Provide leadership in the development of a consolidated ForAfrika Global Health and Nutrition Program corresponding Annual implementation plans, budgets and Monitoring and Evaluation Plans.
- Provide leadership in the development, harmonization and coherence of health and nutrition program strategy/approaches /activities across all ForAfrika country offices.
- Provide continuous technical backstopping, organizational support and capacity building to the organization’s country offices’ health and nutrition technical teams, to ensure teams are conversant with the requisite standards and methodological programming approaches in line with national/ForAfrika Strategic Plans, Standard Operation procedures/guidelines and specific program innovations.
- Undertake mapping of all ForAfrika country office teams’ health and nutrition portfolio managers to establish their specific expertise/technical capacity building/learning needs and develop a master plan for capacity building the field staff in health and nutrition.
- Provide leadership in ForAfrika’s effective representation proactivity in innovation in the health and nutrition sector at country/regional and international levels.
- Ensure regular coordination with support departments (finance, logistics, administration and human resources) in procurement planning and follow-up, cash forecasts and expenditure tracking, human resources planning and staff performance management for the health and nutrition sector programmes.
- The Advisor shall represent ForAfrica in all relevant meetings such as the Health and Nutrition cluster meetings, donor meetings and line ministry meetings coordinated by the governments where the organization operates.
- Establish Community of Practice on Health and Nutrition at all levels of operation respectively.
- Participate in the Regional Nutrition Cluster as necessary.
Monitoring & Evaluation, Research and Reporting
- Participate in planning and provide technical support to ForAfrika’s M&E plans both within sustainable development as well as during humanitarian disaster emergencies.
- Provide technical support for country program health and nutrition assessment processes (viz: baselines, evaluations, SMART surveys, KAP surveys and other inter-agency special studies) support for the JAM country teams to develop Terms of Reference, design, data collection methodology and tools analysis, report writing and dissemination;
- Conduct routine monitoring, quality assessment, quarterly/annual reviews to ascertain progress, identify constraints and promising results and success stories;
- Lead in development and review of projects narrative and financial reports and sharing with the ForAfrika Technical Unit and senior management and funding partners in a timely manner;
- Plan and conduct capacity building and training of field staff and partners on monitoring and reporting of project activities against planned activities, indicators and targets;
Research, Innovation and Learning
- Lead on the development of Health and Nutrition research papers and policy briefs.
- Lead in identifying and documenting, lessons and promising practices from ForAfrika Health and Nutrition portfolio.
- Lead in identifying themes for operational research within ForAfrika’s Health and Nutrition programming
- Stay abreast of latest development and professional norms, upcoming project models, standards, tools and methodologies within the Health and Nutrition sector for inclusion in program development and sharing with ForAfrka Country/Field Health and Nutrition and related sector Teams.
- In consultation with the Chief Programs Officer and the ForAfrika Technical Unit Team, ForAfrika Country Managers/Directors, undertake the development of innovative programs including Knowledge Production research and apply the results to producing tools for Health and Nutrition Programme.
- Identify potential partners and donors and assist in developing pre-positioning plans and participate in meetings with potential partners and donors.
- Participate in preparing Concept Notes and Project/Programme proposals in health and nutrition programming ensuring the effective conceptualization and articulation of ForAfrika’s Theory of Change, Programming Framework, Program Intervention Model, Logical Framework design and Budgeting for the organization’s health and nutrition programmes/projects.
Coordination, representation and partnership building:
- Undertake effective coordination of the ForAfrika’s Health and Nutrition programs as well as with other organization’s sector programs (WASH, Education, FSL, Economic Empowerment) and with Emergency Response in order to achieve integrated program development/planning and implementation at all levels of ForAfrika’s operations.
- Represent ForAfrika organization in relevant national/regional forums ensuring active presence and effective participation and contribution to humanitarian coordination in the health and nutrition clusters and other technical working groups to maintain a positive, continuous and visible presence for the organization.
- Establish and maintain links with various health and nutrition actors and develop partnerships as relevant and appropriate including with NGOs, specialized institutions and the private sector operatives and stakeholders.
- Lead in the integration of health and nutrition programs with other sectors (Food Assistance, FSL, WASH, Education, Protection) and work closely with other sector leads to foster synergies.
- Share information in a collaborative, productive and cooperative manner with others in and outside the organization.
- Lead and develop the development of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for ForAfrica’s health and nutrition programme.
- Lead the designing and support the implementation of action-oriented research in health and nutrition to generate relevant knowledge that will be used in producing knowledge products and training tools as well as in and for advocacy.
- Support ForAfrica country offices in developing and implementing knowledge management strategies for health and nutrition taking into account in particular the organization’s school feeding/WASH/Food Security and Livelihoods and Economic Empowerment programmes.
- Lead, Facilitate and support the coordination of knowledge/learning exchange initiatives within ForAfrika peers in the health and nutrition Sector and externally with likeminded health and nutrition networks/health and nutrition Cluster of the Humanitarian Emergency Response/ Communities of Practice including convening and facilitating webinars, online meetings on health and nutrition.
- Establish a data-base on health and nutrition resources needed for program planning and reporting.
- Develop in consultation with ForAfrika Country Managers/Directors internal and external strategies and tools for advocacy campaigns, newsletters, social media etc.;
- Serve as the Focal Point for ForAfrica for Knowledge Management in health and nutrition.
- Undertake the effective documentation and dissemination of ForAfrika’s Best Practices, key Tools and Advocacy materials from its health and nutrition programme.
- Identify opportunities for and facilitate engagement with key events of ForAfrika country offices and partners in health and nutrition activities.
- A shared vision created among all health and nutrition program staff and partners in achieving health and nutrition program goals.
- Technical support and capacity provided to ForAfrika organization’s country office staff on health and nutrition to facilitate effective program implementation and achievement of the desired targets and results including agreed donor results for health and nutrition programmes.
- Program monitoring and evaluation (based on agreed indicators) regularly carried out, and timely reporting to stakeholders done.
- Partnerships are effectively managed and sustained within and outside the organization
- Increased growth in health and nutrition program portfolio in terms of funding, partnerships and donor diversity.
Qualifications, skills and competencies required
- Masters’ degree in any of the following: Medicine, Public Health, Nursing, Human Nutrition
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in health and nutrition program planning and management, emergency preparedness and response in fragile or complex contexts.
- Specific technical expertise in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning as it pertains to health and nutrition programs.
- Demonstrated experience in management of health information/data (data collection/analysis/reporting of key health and nutrition indicators.
- Strong knowledge in Conceptual analysis and knowledge in health and nutrition programming
- Knowledge of grants and operating procedures of key institutional donors, particularly Humanitarian Response Fund, UNICEF, WFP, DfID, Health Pooled Fund, Global Funds for TB, Aids and Malaria, USAID/PMI; European Union, African Development Fund.
- Proven presentation, training and facilitation skills including the ability to prepare technical presentations for high level internal and external engagement.
- Highly developed interpersonal and external communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching, partner focus, cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
- Capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances including the ability to work under pressure and flexible to work late hours to meet deadlines.
- Competence and experience in using/applying SPSS, STATA, Epi Info, Nutri-Survey, Nutri- SMART, ODK and PowerPoint presentations;
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written is essential. Working knowledge of other international languages such as Portuguese/French is an advantage;
- Commitment to ForAfrica’s ethos and values.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
- All interested candidates should send their CVs’ to the following email address: email@example.com
- Closing Date: 24 January 2023
- Disclaimer: Candidates who do not meet the minimum criteria will not be shortlisted.